15 September 2008

Thinking About My First Time (at Rotary)

Recently I attended my first Rotary lunch with my buddy AndyK. As I sat in the meeting eating lunch at a familiar restaurant, I began to notice that my experience in that particular moment was eerily similar to a non-Christians' first experience in a church. So I jotted a few of them down and thought I would share them with you.
  1. I went with an old (no reflection on his age), trusted friend - AndyK
  2. We sang a familiar song
  3. I was not sure when to sit or stand
  4. I was introduced to new acquaintances - Mike and Ron
  5. I listened to a speaker who talked about a topic that was relevant to the daily lives of the listeners (and me too!)
  6. I found out what the membership requirements are

Attending that Rotary lunch helped me to have a greater understanding for what unchurched people go thru when they come to church for the first time. The feelings of uneasiness, nervousness, asking questions of relevance, etc.

I have a better feel for what new people feel when they venture onto our campus - and now may be better equipped to give them what they need and meet them where they are.

This experience was greatly helpful because I grew up in the church. I know nothing else other than church. So for me to have an uncomfortable experience similar to someone who might come into my church is a great asset for me to have. Thanks AndyK!

No comments: