18 January 2007

"Stabucks is the postmodern Cheers"

I just love finding great articles online. This one comes via Relevant again and I wanted to share a few reflections on it.

1) The whole concept of a "third space" is interesting to me. I am not sure that I currently have a "third space" in my life. I spend quite a bit of time either in the office or at home. I am guessing that the gym, the golf course, or the coffee shop could all be appropriate "third spaces," but I don't have one right now. Altho the library was most definitely my home away from home during seminary!

2) I am not currently on a first-name basis with the baristas at my Starbucks, but I also don't go there everyday. I usually limit myself to 2 trips a week, but there is one barista who recognizes me by sight and is working to remember my name. Perhaps I should return the favor.

3) Everybody is searching for belonging. The reality of loneliness is rampant in our culture and I continually deal with people who struggle with the problems that loneliness creates. Human beings have an innate desire for companionship and relationships, and I believe this drives us to do almost anything to not be alone - including things that are unhealthy or destructive. As an introvert, I enjoy moments of solitude because that is how I recharge my batteries from a day or week of being with (or in front of) people. I long to belong just as much as anyone else does, but I have found that my longing is completed in Christ, so that I don't have to worry about filling my life with meaningless things just to feel loved and worthy. God makes me worthy. Christ fills my needs. Debbie and Caitlyn love me unconditionally. And I love them even more each day.

Grace&Peace

No comments: