04 October 2010

Extravagant Generosity - Day 1

I'll save the apologies and just get right to the posting....

University UMC begins our four-week journey to explore the concept of Extravagant Generosity today and I will be posting some reflections on each days' devotional both here and on our Facebook page. Enjoy!

From Stewardship to Generosity
Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity. - Luke 6:38, The Message

Bishop Schnase reflects on meeting someone who changed his job title because of his book and how that caused him to think about the difference between "stewardship" and "generosity". Growing up in the church, I have heard both terms for a long time, but I associate stewardship with "raising the budget" or "building a building". For me, generosity is associated with people who go above and beyond the call of duty in giving, serving, leading, etc. within the church. For me, generosity is a greater reflection of the love of God than is stewardship.

Schnase says, "Generosity is an aspect of character. It is an attractive quality which I aspire to and desire to see cultivated in my children" (8). I can think of no greater legacy to leave my children than one of generosity. I can think of no greater way to live my life than one of generosity. I know we are not all able to be generous all the time, but what if we built practices into our lives that enabled us to be generous more often than not? What if we truly believed that "generosity begets generosity"?

Questions for Reflection:
1) What has been your experience with the term "stewardship"? With "generosity"? What's the difference between them?
2) Which most helpfully inspires your giving as you seek to grow in the image of God and in service to Christ?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Stewardship" is a responsibility to ALL inadement objects: House; Land; Water; Money; Church buildings; Personal Possessions; etc...

"Generosity" means that "die to self" comes in play first, then you give away your inadement objects to those in need.

To be inspired and to grow in the image of God while giving service to Christ, we need to engulf ourselves in God's Word, His Touch, and His Love.

Sometimes we concentrate on the outside too much, there by missing out on our own personal growth.

When passing by a restaurant on the street, you can smell the aroma of a cooked meal and it makes you hungry. The restaurant doesn't come to us...we go to the restaurant.

Our giving should first be within our church family, there by those who are passing by will smell the aroma and come in.

This is NOT to take away from outside ministries, but to get the attention of those from within that need to wake up, hear the Word, feel His touch and His Love through God's children...

Rev_DeanL said...

Anonymous,
Thank you for your serious consideration of the post. I believe you mean "inanimate objects" not "inadement", but that's the grammarian in me coming out, sorry!

How do we "concentrate on the outside too much, there by missing out on our own personal growth"?

What "aroma" is the church giving off right now? Is it appealing to those who pass by? Is it turning them off?

Again, thanks for you comments!
Dean

Anonymous said...

Rev Dean,

Thank you for the correct spelling; I new it was spelled wrong; was in hopes someone would correct it for me...

I'm think'n on your questions and will get right on that...later.