12 October 2010

Extravagant Generosity - Day 9

Whitewater World!

Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed - that exhilarating finish in and with God - he could put up with anything along the way... - Hebrews 12:2, The Message

If I was writing today's devotional, I would have chosen "Remar o Morir!" because that seems to capture the spirit of the devotional more succinctly, but they didn't ask me, so I'll deal with what we've got.

Our lives are moving at break-neck speeds and unless we take measures to control that speed, we may get out of control and be at the mercy of other forces in the world. The rafters needed to learn that staying in control on the water meant paddling even when the current was pushing them along in the calm times.

Schnase says, "If we want to navigate with purpose and to control our direction rather than becoming a victim to forces beyond our control, we have to keep paddling....We can't stop learning, growing, changing, adapting, and giving our best" (31). I don't know about you, but I want to "navigate with purpose" throughout my life, therefore I have made choices to always be a learning leader. I attend conferences, I read books, I listen to talks by teachers/pastors/leaders I trust and want to learn from - all in an effort to keep "learning, growing, changing, adapting, and giving [my] best" every day.

Questions for Reflection:
1) What are the pressures and currents of your whitewater world?
2) How do you learn, adapt, grow, and change spiritually so that the currents don't overwhelm and destroy you?

No comments: