06 February 2007

Preaching on Sunday

I preached this weekend at one of Trietsch's sister churches, Chinn's Chapel UMC. It was quite a different experience from preaching at Trietsch because the crowd was smaller, the sanctuary was much smaller, and I didn't have to wear a lav or speak into a mic at all (that's how small their sanctuary is).

I preached about Jesus calling his first disciples in Luke's Gospel (ch 5) and how living in the deep water was the best way to make major strides for the kingdom of God on earth. As I was preaching, I realized that I was challenging a church of less than 100 people to reach out their new neighbors, whom they have been avoiding like the plague, with the message that God loves them and that they matter to God. I wondered how wise it was to issue such a challenge, but that's one of things about ministry - I have been called by God to push buttons, poke, prod, and stir the people of God as much as I can in the name of kingdom advancement. It's my mission. It's my calling. It's my goal.

I guess, deep down, there is this longing inside of me to want to see people who have been passive in their faith take a big step out of their comfort zone and make a difference for Jesus in our world. I really believe that Jesus did not call us to be consumers of Christianity, but to be investors in Christ. And part of making that investment, is turning what you start with into more ... taking what you are given and doing all you can with it ... I think I read that somewhere.

What big steps have you taken lately?
How are you living in the deep water?

Grace&Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dean you certainly have pushed me into territory that I have not wanted to go, yet the territory was where Christ wanted me to be. Please continue to push us out of our comfort zone!

The whole music thing is not easy for me but I feel called to do it. Admitting my real problems to others is a way I have stepped out.

See you Thursday!

Andrew