25 April 2007

Lunches That Make You Go Wow

Today I had lunch with a member of our church and I was reminded of the amazing way that God brings people into our lives in order to make his plans work.

I went to the restaurant thinking that I was meeting a woman, but it turned out that Kerry is a dual-gender name (I should have known that, but it didn't click for some reason). So I had lunch with Kerry and found out that he used to be a pastor in the Baptist church, but through a series of events, left the pastorate, left the Baptist church, and joined our UM church (interesting story).

So we were talking about him becoming part of our Missions Committee and what he could bring to the table. About halfway through his story, it became clear to me that he had at least three undeniable things to offer our Team:

1) Love for the Church
2) Passion for those outside the Church
3) Leadership thinking (another 30,000-ft thinker!)

Our conversation went great and he is going to pray about joining our efforts. I walked away from the meeting reflecting on one thing: he had called his wife before meeting with me and told her that he was going to have lunch with me just to get to know me better, but he wasn't all that interested in being on the Team, but he told me that by the end of our lunch he was very excited about the possibility of serving on the Team to set direction and leadership for the Missions here at Trietsch. Praise God!

Grace&Peace

4 comments:

David said...

I have one of those same people, only his name is Terry.
Funny thing those Baptists-cum-Methodists.
Thank God there is but one Gospel

Rev_DeanL said...

A church I was at prior to my current appointment had a family with a father named Terry and a daughter named Terri.

That church also had the first female Dale I'd ever met.

Anonymous said...

Dean,

Are you talking about my Terri? If not, she also has that same deal. And don't forget about Richard Simmons. There's also someone else with a famous name but I don't recall what it is. But that is neither here nor there.

Andrew

Rev_DeanL said...

Yes Andrew, I am talking about 'your' Terri.

I thought of another interesting thing about the Terry/Terri deal...Terri's middle name is Lee, again a gender-ambiguous name.