20 October 2008

Sunday Reflections

Yesterday I preached my first stewardship sermon at University UMC. I was up late on Saturday night trying to get it just right because I wanted to make sure that I said the right things so that the people who heard it would be inspired to give.

When I went to bed that night I tossed and turned for quite a while - until I realized that I was not going to get any sleep until I prayed for God to show up in my preaching the following morning. Once I did that I was able to rest.

My morning routine led me to my office to make final preparations for worship where I ended up praying for the people of University UMC instead of myself that morning. I wanted them to hear God's call to be generous with their lives - their whole lives, including their finances.

You can hear what happened here.

Earlier today I was out running an errand for the church and I got back to the church just as a member was getting into her car to leave. I stopped her to ask about something completely unrelated to Sunday morning, but she mentioned that because of what was said on Sunday, she and her husband were going to double what they were planning to give to the church for 2009. Double!

Now I know better than to think that I had anything to do with their response to God's call, but I also know that if I had tried to "soft-sell" stewardship this year, they would not have stepped out in faith like that.

I am truly humbled every time God chooses to use a broken vessel like me to move the kingdom ball down the field just a little more.

God is good!

4 comments:

Karla Rush said...

Way to go! I have also had comments from several people that this particular sermon series (on stewardship) has caused them to reevaluate how much they are given to God, and also to the church. I think you and the stewardship team are doing a wonderful job, and I am honestly excited about the stewardship campaign! I can't wait to see what happens on consecration Sunday (October 26th). I think it is going to be a blessed day.

Kudos to you and to all those who have worked to bring University UMC this stewardship campaign.

Blessings! Karla

Karla Rush said...

ERRR! I should have previewed my comment, and then I would have caught the typo "given" and changed it to giving. LOL Sorry about that!

P.S. still doing a good job. Karla

Rev_DeanL said...

Thanks KR! I am excited about what can happen this weekend too!

Anonymous said...

Just a postlude on the string: Darin and I have never given as a couple to the church. I have, but not in a way that really mattered. We always give, but to different things here and there. We had a serious discussion about our giving and, while we didn't agree on the amount, we agreed that it was time to make the commitment final.

It's hard for me to wait for him to help me make decisions like that. I'm STILL not used to asking someone else. . . marriage is weird, but we're both happy we made a commitment and we're even happier that we might have a chance to double or triple it.