05 January 2011

Matthew 8-9

I am continually amazed at how Jesus instructs those who have been healed of disease or demons to keep quiet about their miraculous encounter. How could someone who has been touched by the hand of God keep quiet about it? I would want to shout it from the rooftops!

I must say that "weeping and gnashing of teeth" (8.12) is such an interesting image to me. I picture someone off in a dark corner grinding their teeth as hard as they can while they cry uncontrollably - not a pretty picture by any stretch of the imagination, but biblical nonetheless.

Again, there is an Old Testament prophecy fulfilled in Jesus: Isaiah 53.4 (see 8.17)!

Every time I read the Gospels I am reminded about how human the disciples are in their attempts to follow Christ. They doubt, they stumble, they misunderstand, they do exactly what I do in my own life. I will admit that makes me feel a bit better about my staggered path of discipleship!

Oh how often do I need to be reminded that sick people need the doctor (see 9.12)! How often does the church operate as a hotel for the healthy instead of as a hospital for the hurting?

What verse(s) stuck out the most to you in Matthew 8-9?

No comments: