22 November 2005

Mourning

Yesterday I received this email from the Dallas-Denton District office:

Dr. Virgil Howard, Associate Professor, Perkins School of Theology, passed away unexpectedly on Friday, November 18th, while attending the annual meetings of the American Academy of Religion and Society of Biblical Literature in Pennsylvania.

His wife Barbara is currently in Germany, visiting family. She will return to Dallas on Tuesday. We will share the information about the service when it becomes available.

Dean William B. Lawrence said, "I invite all of us to offer prayers of thanksgiving for his life, his service, his ministry and his noble spirit."


I never took a class with Dr. Howard, but I knew his reputation as a caring, insightful, and thoughtful professor. He helped me find my internship at Holy Covenant last year when the plans I tried to make fell through late in the year. If he hadn't been able to step in and recommend HC - I may have missed out on one of the greatest learning experiences in my ministerial career.

Dr. Howard was a great person to work with and I know that he will truly be missed throughout the entire Perkins community.

God, sometimes the events of life escape our grasp. Sometimes we can't make sense of what happens to those we love. I pray, dear Lord, that you hold us in your loving arms and keep us close to you, until our time is done and our journey through.

Grace & Peace

No comments: