16 August 2008

The It List

OK, I'm sure you are all just dying to find out what my answer to Craig's question is. I must admit that I had to come up with two sets of answers - one for church planting and one for church revitalization.

So here goes:

For a Church Plant:
1) weekend worship experience
2) children's ministry
3) student ministry
4) small groups
5) missions

For a Church Revitalization effort:
1) weekend worship experience
2) small groups
3) children's ministry
4) student ministry
5) missions (with emphasis on local community involvement)

I know, I know. The lists are almost identical - in fact, the "church plant" list matches exactly with what Craig said. There is good reason for that - I think Craig is on to something. Let me explain...

To start a new church or to revitalize an existing one, there must be intentionality in everything. There must be focus. And there must be alignment.

The whole church (or group of people looking to start a church) must be gathered around a single unifying vision in order for the group to continue to move forward. It seems to me that churches who fail to rally around a central focal point/vision/mission fail to have the ability to move in the same direction over a long period of time.

I am in the midst of what I would call a church revitalization effort (i.e. I would use the second list) and I know that my work is cut out for me in every area that I listed.

For now, I will leave the church plant list behind. Next week I will share my thoughts about what University may need to do in response to the second list.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

#2 on list two grabbed my attention. Small groups have in the past been a large part of our journey (my wife and I ). When we moved here we tried without success to form a small group. Lots of reasons why members could not attend.

We used these small groups for study, prayer, and just getting to know each other.

Any ideas on how we can see this through?

Rev_DeanL said...

A-non,
The best way to be successful at implementing small groups in any church is to not see them as "another program of the church" but as an essential element to the whole make up of the church.

We can either be a church with small groups or a church of small groups.

I would love to talk more about moving UUMC toward being a church of small groups. But first, I gotta know who you are!

Anonymous said...

I liked your word "intentionality." It has become quite evident that we can no longer operate with business as usual and bring others to Christ and to UUMC. We do have to be intentional in our efforts, but more specifically... we have to be intentional in our efforts to meet the needs of others, rather than our own needs! We have to move beyond the "what's in it for me" attitude and focus on what's in it for the kingdom. 'Easy to say, not so easy to do! (J. Bennett)