11 August 2008

Leadership Summit 08 Thoughts

This past Thursday and Friday I attended the Leadership Summit, hosted by Willow Creek Community Church (Chicago area) and broadcast via satellite to over 140 cities across North America. I spent those two days soaking up leadership insights from great church, non-profit, and business leaders. I look forward to this event every year (as this was my fourth time to go) and I can’t wait to share the experience with the rest of the staff next August!

I took a ton of notes and brought back a stack of resources, but I wanted to share just a few quick insights from the two-day event with you.

Bill Hybels, Senior Pastor of Willow Creek, on “The High Drama of Decision Making”
• Leadership’s highest usage is to advance the kingdom of God
• Get the right people around the table

Gary Haugen, President and CEO of International Justice Mission, on “Just Courage: Charging the Darkness”
• If you want your leadership to matter then lead in the things that matter to God

Wendy Kopp, CEO and Founder of Teach for America, on “Stand Up and Lead”
• Be willing to take risks to follow your passions

John Burke, Lead Pastor of Gateway Community Church (Austin, TX), on “Leading in New Cultural Realities”
• Are we truly doing the work of Christ if we are not getting messy with the lives of those who are messy?

Craig Groeschel, Senior Pastor of Lifechurch.tv (OKC), on “IT: How Leaders Can Get IT and Keep IT”
• Ask yourself (or your church):
o What are you doing that you need to stop doing?
o What is God trying to show you through your greatest limitation?
o What has God called you to do that you are afraid to do?

Catherine Rohr, Founder and CEO of Prison Entrepreneurship Program, on “Risk Taking, Barrier Breaking, Bold Leadership”
• Pray, “God, bring it on!”

Bill Hybels, Senior Pastor of Willow Creek, on “Relentless”
• If you were God for a day, would you pick you for more influence in the kingdom?
• Do we believe in a God that taps on the shoulders of regular people and asks them to step up?

If you went to the Summit, what are your thoughts? What was your favorite talk/interview?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're back, yeah! I always love reading your thoughts. I absolutely love the Summitt this year. I received so much affirmation and confirmation for what is on my heart for the kids of our church. Now to convey it to others in a tactful matter. It was so good to see you, but bring Debby and Caitlin next time!

Rev_DeanL said...

Chris,
It is good to be back! I am trying to organize my staff retreat around the Summit next year, so I may need to bring Deb and Caitlyn with me since we will be there for a few days - I'll see what I can do!

Anonymous said...

Dean, glad to see you're posting again!